ISRO's Augmented Reality (AR) Android App
What is Sakaar?
Sakaar is Indian Space Research Organisation's (ISRO) Augmented Reality (AR) application designed for Andriod devices.
This AR application shows live camera view on your device to represent physical world and virtual objects/video clips are superimposed on live camera view upon pointing the device's camera at a Trigger Card. The combined view of camera and virtual object(s) appear to be tightly coupled on your device's screen.
The virtual objects can consist of 3D models, videos and anaglyph images.
This Android application will work on Android Ice Cream Sandwich MR1 (4.0.3) and above.
How to use Sakaar?
To experience this application, you require the following:
- Android APPLICATION package - Download SAKAAR apk (Approximate file size is 29 MB)
- TRIGGER CARDS (important) - They trigger the virtual objects in your device. Without them the application will be just displaying the camera view. So download them from here (Page 1 Front, Page 1 Back) OR after the application is installed you can access them from the OPTIONS MENU (can be accessed by clicking the menu button on the top-right of the screen) by clicking "View/Print Trigger Cards". You can view and print (if your Android version supports printing) them from this menu option.
You can print these cards (B&W may also work fine, don't print on glossy paper), cut them along the dotted lines and show to your device's camera (with the app installed and turned on) OR you can also show these cards from another screen (soft-copy) to your device's camera (with the app installed and turned on).
The Trigger Cards contain Info-graphics (M, E, V, A) at the bottom-left. For more info on these, read 'How to use Sakaar' on app start-up or access 'About ISRO's Sakaar' from the menu options.
Important Note - The default application package doesn't come loaded with the videos. So, you need to download them before they can pop-up on cards with V. Access the Download Video Package from the menu (can be accessed by clicking the menu button on the top-right of the screen). These videos can download in the background. So, you can also choose to close the application.
Once the videos are downloaded, you need to restart the Sakaar app and then show the V trigger cards to the camera. This download is a one-time activity only. So, once all the videos are successfully downloaded then you don't need to download them again.
Note - This is a graphic intensive application. It may take some time to load on start-up.
Terms & Conditions
- ISRO's Sakaar Augmented Reality application showcases 3D models, videos, images, etc. These are purely for representational purposes only.
- This is a beta version of the application.
- Sakaar & its contents are sole property of ISRO.
- This application is based on ARToolkit.
- ARToolkit is coverd under LGPL v3 License. The Terms & Conditions of this software will also apply.
- This application shall be used for educational purposes only.
- ISRO or any of its centres or units shall not be held responsible for any damage caused to the user devices, installed software and/or user data.
- By installing and using ISRO's Sakaar application you are confirming to accept all the aforementioned Terms & Conditions.