Director, Space Applications Centre
He was born in 1961 in Raigada, Orissa, India. He has graduated in Electronics and
Telecommunication Engineering from Jadavpur University, Calcutta in 1984. He was awarded
the prestigious Sir J C Bose National Talent Search (JBNSTS) Scholarship in 1981.
Since 1984, he is involved in development of Microwave Remote Sensing payloads in Space
Applications Centre (SAC-ISRO), Ahmedabad. He began his career as digital hardware engineer
responsible for development of Quick Look Display system of X-band SLAR.
He was the lead designer for development of C-band SAR Payload based on active antenna
concept. His leadership has resulted in partnership with Indian Industry in developing critical
technology elements needed for RISAT like MMICs, TR modules, miniaturised pulsed power
supplies and ASIC based TR controllers. This partnership has important element of qualification
of processes and personnel for production of Space Grade Electronics apart from industrial
development and production. Presently this payload has been launched in 2012.
He was lead member of the team which designed and developed C-band Airborne SAR (ASAR),
implementing full motion compensation. He developed FFT based Real Time Sub-aperture (FFTRTS) algorithm for real time processing of SAR during his tenure as Guest Scientist in German
Aerospace Agency (DLR) in 1990.
He led the team which developed a multi-resolution,multi-swath airborne SAR system called DMSAR(SAR for Disaster Management) in 2005-2006.He also invented the algorithm called track steering algorithm for high resolution processing of DMSAR. He also led the development of Scatterometer payload for Oceansat-2 which was launched in 2009 and providing valuable wind vector data to global meteorological community
During 1995-1999, as Project Manager for system engineering of Multi-frequency Scanning
Microwave Radiometer (MSMR) payload for IRS-P4, he contributed mainly in the field of system
design, simulation, integration, checkout and ground calibration for MSMR payload. He was also
responsible for development of cryogenic blackbody targets for ground characterisation of MSMR
He was also heading the Office of Innovations Management of ISRO at ISRO Headquarters,
He led the team to develop futuristic remote sensing systems like DBF based S-band SAR for NISAR,L-band SAR
very agile high resolution X-band SAR,mm-Wave sounders and advanced Scatterometer.
He was Conferred with-
i. “D.Sc.,(Doctor in Science)(Honoris Causa)” by Jadavpur University,Kolkata in 2016
He was Awarded/Felicitated with-
i. Hari Om Ashram Prerit Vikram Sarabhai Research Award in 2004
ii. ISRO Merit Award in 2008
for his contribution of development of SAR Technology.
iii. ISRO Team Excellence Award in 2012
for RISAT-1 P/L Design and Data Products.
iv. ISRO Team Excellence Award in 2012
for RISAT-1 P/L Fabrication and Qualification
v. "Ruchi Bharat Gaurav Award-2015"
by Ruchi Prativa Foundation, Cuttack.
vi. "7th Acharya P C Ray Memorial Award"
in 2016, by Institute of Pulmocare and
Research Institute, Kolkata.
vii. "Distinguished Alumnus"
by Jadavpur University,Kolkata in 2017.
vii. "Sri Atulaya Ghosh Memorial Award"
from Bidhan Sishu Udyam,Kolkata in 2017.
He was Selected/Elected as
i. Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering
ii. Corresponding Member of International Academy of Astronautics
iii. Fellow of Institution of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineers
iv. Fellow of Indian Society of Remote Sensing
v. Fellow of Indian Society of Systems for Science and Engineering(ISSE)
Positions in International / National Bodies
- Principal from ISRO for Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) since 2015.
- Co-Chairman, Indo-US Earth Science Working Group, 2016.
- Head of Indian delegation for Coordination Group for Meteorological Satellites (CGMS)-45, 2017.
- Member of International Coordination Body for Harmonisation of SAR Sensors and their utilisation, set up at California Institute of Technology (CalTech), California, under leadership of Prof Charles Elachi Professor of CalTech and Ex-Director of Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), USA, in 2017.
- President, Indian Society of Geomatics (ISG) in 2017.
- Member – Executive Board to monitor the Project on “Development of GaN Based MMICs for Applications upto X-Band” of SSPL, DRDO.
- Chairman – Research council (RC) of CSIR, CEERI, Pilani.
- Member – ITER_India Empowered Board.
- Member – Academic Council of Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), Gandhinagar.
- Member - Research Advisory Board (RAB) of Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU), Gandhinagar.
He has 6 granted patents, 2 pending patents, 9 copyrights and more than 25 papers
to his credit.